We know that we’re surrounded by the good, the bad and the completely wonky, when it comes to facts and trivia. But just when you thought you’d read it all, we found these 18 facts that sound completely fabricated and crazy, but are true as can be. So hold on and don’t call ‘bullshit’ just yet. These unbelievable facts will blow your mind, all over again.
1. So far, wasps have brought down 2 commercial airline flights, killing over 200 people.
Mud Dauber is a name commonly applied to a number of wasps, from either the family Sphecidae or Crabronidae, that build their nests from mud.
On September 12, 1980, the ill-fated Florida Commuter Airlines Flight 65 crashed, en route to the Bahamas, killing all 34 passengers and crew. The cause was determined as a malfunctioning air speed indicator, ruined by mud dauber nests that were not cleared properly from the aircraft’s pitot tubes.
Then, on February 6, 1996, Birgenair Flight 301 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, after a black and yellow mud dauber got into the pilot tube and built its cylindrical nest inside. All 13 crew members and 176 passengers died.(source)
2. A Chinese monk’s devotion has left a deep mark on a temple in the monastery town of Tongren in Qinghai province. The ageing monk has been kneeling in prayer a 1,000 times each day, for the last 20 years, and his footprints are now etched upon the temple’s wooden floor.
3. There is a tree named Pando that is technically an entire forest.
It is the clonal colony of 4700 aspen, that all share the same root system. Pando means ‘I Spread’ the tree/forest is also called The Trembling Giant. (source)
4. Scientists in Mexico were able to turn the country’s spirit of choice, tequila, into diamonds.
This surprise discovery was made when researchers at the National Autonomous University experimented with making ultra-thin films of diamond from organic solutions like acetone and ethanol. The mix that worked best was 40% alcohol and 60% water, very similar to the proportions used in tequila.(source)
This just makes tequila even cooler, don’t you think?
5. A trained Beagle assistance dog won an award when she called 911 after her owner, who is diabetic, had a seizure and collapsed.
Belle, a 17-pound beagle, became the first canine recipient of the VITA Wireless Samaritan Award. She was able to bite into her owner’s phone and call 911 when he collapsed.
Thanks to their keen sense of smell, animals like Belle are able to detect abnormalities in a person’s blood sugar levels. By dialing the emergency number, Belle most definitely saved her owner’s life.(source)
6. Thanks to technology, you now know how the sun sees you!
Here’s an amazing video of what people look like with an ultraviolet camera.