The year 1999 changed the perception of the whole world and led us to question our own existence. The reason behind this change was mind-bending movie, The Matrix. It has been more than 15 years since the movie was released, yet we discover new facts about it that we have not heard of before. Thanks to IMDB, we have been able to put together 24 amazing facts about this movie which will definitely blow your mind away.
1. When Wachowski brothers presented their idea for The Matrix and quoted a budget of more than $80 million to Warner Bros., they were refused. Instead they were offered $10 million. Later when they created the opening scene and showed it to the executives, they were gave the green signal and the entire original budget.
The Wachowski brothers estimated the budget for filming the entire movie to be more than 80 million dollars. When they presented this budget to Warner Bros., they were refused and instead the Wachowskis were offered only 10 million dollars.
Wachowskis accepted the money and used the entire amount to film the first ten minutes of the movie. They then showed the opening scene to the executives at Warner Bros. The executives were so impressed that entire original budget was allotted to the Wachowskis.(source)
2. For the character of Neo, Wachowskis’s first choice was Johnny Depp. But the studio wanted Keanu Reeves for the role and finally he won the role.
The directors, Lana and Lilly Wachowski, wanted to cast Johnny Depp in the role of Neo in the beginning. Will Smith, Nicholas Cage, Val Kilmer and Bradd Pitt were also offered the role of Neo. But they all turned it down. Will Smith opted for the movie Wild Wild West instead. Nicholas Cage cited “family obligations” as the reason. Finally Keanu Reeves was chosen by the studio over the directors’ choice (Johnny Depp) because he was well-tuned into the movie’s concept which made a lot of difference during casting.(source)
3. In the movie, Neo works for the company, Metacortex. The name is coined from two root words, meta meaning “going beyond or higher, transcending” and cortex “the outer layer (boundary) of gray matter surrounding the brain”, according to Webster. Together it means “transcending the boundaries of the brain”.
Neo does the same thing in the movie.(source)
4. According to Greek mythology, Morpheus is the God of dreams and in the movie the job of Morpheus is to awaken the humans from virtual world to reality.
In the movie Morpheus is the name of the leader of rebel force fighting against the machines. Morpheus, according to Greek mythology is the God of dreams. However, in the movie the character Morpheus does the opposite. He fights to wake the humans up from the Matrix, the virtual reality created by the machines to use humans as a source of energy.(source)
5. More than half the dialogues by Neo in the movie are made up of questions.
Neo has 88 lines in the first 45 minutes of the movie. Out of these, 44 lines are questions. It also goes with the theme of the movie, to be able to question what is happening around and to want to really see the “world” the characters live in. It is also resembles another theme of the movie – the book Alice in Wonderland, and how Alice is full of curiosity and constantly asking questions. Neo is the Alice of the Matrix and so 56% of all his dialogues are questions including: “What is Matrix?”(source)